Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Shoes

In case you're wondering, I haven't stopped shooting salsa events. Most recent one was on July 4th, when Jeff and I shot a SalsaOle party. I might refrain from posting samples from the actual shoot though, lest anyone get sick of salsa photos. We'll see.

However. When I first came into the room where the salsa event was going to happen, and was looking for something -- anything! -- to act as a subject for a few practice shots (it had been a while!), I saw a pair of shoes that somehow looked interesting; they reminded me of a b/w photograph I'd seen a long time ago, of a pair of very worn boots against a white background. I remember being in awe of how something so unappealing in everyday life could make for such an interesting photo subject, and I like to think that lesson's stayed with me until today, at least in my more inspired moments. I don't kid myself that the quality of this shot is anywhere near as good as the one I'd seen back then (all other criticism aside, it was the first practice shot, about 2 minutes after walking into the place), but I'm still putting it up, to remind me never to lose my curiosity, and to keep shooting new things, even when the subject is as mundane as a pair of shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment