Saturday, September 12, 2009

Weekly Project - Light painting, take 2!

I know, I know, my weekly assignment post was due yesterday. It's an awful way to start the whole thing, and yet I promise I have a good reason. And that reason... is this:



This little kitty, whom Jeff has very aptly named Lady, came into my life earlier this week and melted our hearts until we just had to take her home and build our days around her every whim. She will undoubtedly become one of the most spoiled (not to mention photographed) felines in the known world. For now, though, I didn't want to disturb her for too long.

Getting back to this week's Light Spirograph project, below is the second set of images, taken using the same general technique, but a different light source, and a few tweaks.


A pretty basic shot to start with (reminder: see more about this project here). The lens was a lot closer to the light source, hence the broad light trails. I was hoping for thinner and more defined trails, but after seeing these I thought they were pretty cool as well.


About half way through the shoot, I had an idea: why not twist the string from which the light was hanging, and see what happens. The results varied from the photo above (i.e slight deviations), to odds tangles of weirdness.


An example of the more extreme rope-twisting thing.

This week's tip: try, try, and then... try some more. Different light sources, different focal lengths, longer or shorter exposures, throw the light in other directions (or twist the string. Or use elastic. Or use a double pendulum by tying another object, of about the same weight as your light source, about half way down your string, and throwing it in a different direction than your light source), or anything else that comes to mind. Take the time to try, and see what works for you.

Next week's project, courtesy of Jeff, is another light painting project. This time, it will be head/tail light trails reflected in the Rideau Canal. Stay tuned!

The Weekly Projects are small assignments I take on to try things I otherwise wouldn't and expand my range. While I do have a few things in mind, suggestions are very welcome. If you have a project idea, would like to share your thoughts on my posts, or would like to join me on my little adventures and post a link to your own results, it would make me very happy. And I would bake you cookies. Really.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Happy new cat! It was about time I might add :P Such a cat-lover without a cat... it was almost impossible to begin to understand :P And might I add, it looks sort of like my youngest cat, Mitzi, like 90% I guess... But yours is named Lady, and I imagine the idea comes from some nice behavior... Am i right?
    Anyway, adorable kitten! Love it! I am happy for you! :)

    Tiger Feline Ingrid :P

    ReplyDelete