Friday, September 4, 2009

Weekly Project - Light Spirograph

Why hello there! I bet you forgot I also update this site from time to time. And yet here I am, back after a long and painful period of seclusion in the real world. Also: I've had no Internet access for the past few weeks. Still, I've managed to somehow survive this dry spell and now I'm back, with a shiny new modem/router and some photography-related news to share.

I've decided that, for the next little while, I'll take on one little photography project a week, and try to explore it in a few different ways, whenever inspiration strikes. Each Friday, I'll name my assignment for the week, and post some shots of my progress whenever I have the time to pick up my camera throughout the following week. At the end of each project, I'll post one or two best photos, as well as, hopefully, a few tips learned by experience.

What will my projects be? Aaah, good question. And the short answer is: this is where YOU come in. I do, of course, have a few projects in mind (things I keep reading about and never get around to trying, mostly), but what I'd love, most of all, is for all of you out there to suggest something for me to try. It can be anything at all (within the limits of law, reason and decency, of course), with the minor catch that it has to be possible for me to do it within the confines of my lovely little town of Ottawa, Ontario.

So please, if you have an idea, if there's something you'd like to see me try, or something you think I'd like to try, just mention it in the comments, and I'll add it to my list.

First Project - "Light Spirograph"

Have you ever played with a spirograph as a child? I got one when I was in elementary school, and was fascinated with it for the longest time. So when I saw this post on Digital Photography School, I had to try it.

The first step was finding the right light source. After searching high and low, I found a small book light, with two little LEDs. Wasn't sure it would work, but I gave it a try and I got the results below:





I'm not entirely happy with my first results. Mainly, I find them too fuzzy. The two parallel light trails (from the 2 LEDs) are kind of cool, but they got too diffused for my liking, leading to the very soft and blown out middle parts.

And so, tonight the second part of the experiment will take place, using a different mini-flashlight, generously donated by Kat, a.k.a. the world's most amazing personal trainer. Stay tuned for results, and don't forget to let me know (in the comments) of any projects you think I should take on!

1 comment:

  1. Oooh! I really like it! I had a spirograph too when I was a kid and, seeing your pictures, I'm just as fascinated now as I was then. I think the second pic is just gorgeous!

    I'll try to think of interesting projects for you to try in the upcoming weeks. Great idea, btw, this weekly project thing. I'll be sure to check in often! :-)

    ReplyDelete